Can you help me with some research? I would like to know about whether as parents of a child with autism or Asperger’s Syndrome you have ever taken your child to church and what happened? I have already come across lots of bad experiences and would now like to hear the good and the bad so I can begin to formulate some ideas and materials to help churches and families have a better and more meaningful faith.
So tell me about:
- One-off visits for christenings, weddings, funerals, Christmas, events etc. (any denomination)
- If you are a Christian family finding ways to include your child and make it meaningful to them
- If you are interested in going to church but don’t feel you would be welcome or catered for as a family (particularly your ASD child)
- What responses you have had from other church-goers
- What has or could work – what are your ideas?
- Any other issues that come up in your family about faith and church
Please pass this onto others – I am specifically looking at the UK to start with but am looking to write materials and resources that can help churches to be more inclusive. In my experience most churches WANT to include, but don’t have the training and resources that would help them do so effectively.
So will you comment and help me out?
Thanks in advance.